Thursday, March 17, 2011

Operation: Dress-Up the Bride | Inspirations

Craig Sillitoe/Sydney Morning Herald
Now that we have booked almost more than 50% of our suppliers, I guess it's just about time that we talk about "the dress." We are to meet up with a designer this Sunday, so I thought of sharing my gown's inspiration design. 

Since Cosa Nostra will be living up to the Mafioso, I'd like to have something that will honor the glam and roaring era of 1920's. The time when women started to think liberated, jazz and art deco became popular, flappers, the Great Gatsby (which I haven't read yet), and Prohibition. 

When I was thinking about our theme, and was researching it online, I found both positive and some not-so-good reactions about the idea. Along with these are reviews on the era's fabulous fashion and signature looks. That is what I'm talking about, as I wanted ours unique and not-the-usual wedding. 


I'm not a fan of intricate details, lace, and fancy beadwork. I am also not into long gowns (just imagine me in my 5-foot frame in a long gown, geez, where did the girl go?) and long trains. And most of all, I want something that I can use in the future; something that we can convert to something else that I can use for another formal event. 

Last year, my friend Dy and I just got excited about looking for gowns on etsy.com - just for fun. And this was even before the Other Guin placed the ring around me flipper. When I saw, I said, that's exactly what I want...

top view with beading details. actual gown may not have this much beadwork

front view with details
full body view
Then, I also saw these pegs recently. I hope whoever's gonna make my gown can incorporate these designs to follow the flapper theme.
Gowns by Sue Wong: I like the one on the left; actually, I just like the see-through look of their backs
by Stephen Yearick: maybe the cut, but not the lacey detail

For some, the thought of mafia may not be taken well, but let's face it: the Roaring 20's is one of the classy eras that most people, and brides for that matter, look up to for vintage inspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment